Saturday, November 11, 2023
Cost per cooking team: $30
Cook Teams may arrive and setup as early as 7:00 am
Minimum amount of chili is 15 gallons for crowd tasting. We request 30 gallons for Fraternal Teams.
The more chili you bring, the more folks get to taste it and vote for you and your chili!
Your registration comes with a 10’x10′ cook site. Canopies and tables are not provided by Moosehaven but are permitted.
Note: For Fraternal Teams flying in…we will provide a 10’x10′ tent, table and chairs upon request. Please confirm your needs with Chili Organizer at time of registration!
SECURITY NOT PROVIDED
No ICS membership is required for the People’s Choice competition.
Friday Early Setup Hours
Friday, November 10th 2023
1:00 – 6:00pm
Event Day Setup Hours
Saturday, November 11th 2023
7:00am – 9:00am
You must have your setup completed for inspection at 9:00 am Saturday.
2023 OFFICIAL COOK-OFF RULES FOR PEOPLE’S CHOICE
Expand Eligibility Rules
1. People’s Choice entries MUST be cooked on-site per the Health Department. People’s Choice entries ONLY are permitted to use commercial chili mixes and fillers for their chili. They will be judged in the “People’s Choice” category only. Chili must be kept warm throughout the event at 140 degrees. You should have a cooking thermometer at your site.
2. ALL COOKING IS TO BE DONE IN A SANITARY MANNER. These conditions are subject to inspection by the Chili Committee Members and the Health Department. Failure to comply is subject to disqualification for that team. Upon disqualification, all cooking ingredients and cooking utensils must be immediately removed from the premises.
3. EACH TEAM WILL PROVIDE ALL INGREDIENTS, UTENSILS, AND ACCESSORIES NECESSARY TO COOK THEIR CHILI. This includes potable water for cooking, tables for food preparation and cook stoves and fuel. Electrical power and/or potable water for cooking purposes is available to those Teams that pre-registered and paid for either or both.
4. OFFICIAL CUPS AND TASTING SPOONS WILL BE PROVIDED by Moosehaven for dispensing chili to the public for tasting for the “People’s Choice” competition. Only these cups and spoons are allowed. Attendees who have donated $5 to judge the chili MUST have on a RED wristband and have their spoon. Anyone who does not have the RED wristband does not get to taste the chili. This is a fundraiser and the donations are benefitting Friends of The Park.
5. EACH CHILI WILL BE IDENTIFIED ACCORDING TO THE TEAM NAME and NUMBER assigned.
6. ALL COOKING MUST BE PERFORMED AT THE REAR OF THE BOOTHS. This is a safety precaution in order to avoid the possibility of accidental injury.
7. ALL GREASE FROM COOKING MUST BE DISPOSED OF PROPERLY. Do not put grease directly into trashcans or into port-a-lets.
8. COOKING TEAMS SHALL REMAIN INSIDE THEIR BOOTHS AND SERVE CHILI TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL ALL THEIR CHILI HAS BEEN DISPENSED AND THE COOK-OFF HAS OFFICIALLY CLOSED.
9. NO MERCHANDISING OF ANY KIND BY CONTESTANTS WILL BE PERMITTED unless specifically registered and approved by Moosehaven.
10. EACH CHILI TEAM SHOULD COOK A MINIMUM OF 15 GALLONS OF CHILI for the People’s Choice; however, the more the better! We recommend at least 10 gallons!
11. Judging for the People’s Choice will be done by the “People” and will be from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.
12. People’s Choice Blind Judging will be done by a panel of judges.
Best Decorated Tent/Booth RULES
1. To be judged, contestants must declare their intention to compete by 10am on the morning of the Chili Cook-off.
2. Teams must be limited in their activity so as not to interfere with the other contestants.
3. Nudity and lewdness are banned. Intentional use by a cook team will result in disqualification of that team.
4. There will be no outside entertainment or interference at the booth (e.g., bands, performances, etc.) during the event.
5. No team may discharge firearms or use any pyrotechnics or explosives at a chili cook-off. Contestants discharging firearms and/or using explosives or other pyrotechnics will be disqualified from the Chili Cook-off.
6. Each team is encouraged to be unique in their showmanship approach (e.g., identical caps, aprons for the team, matching outfits/costumes, well decorated booths).
9. Judging for the Best Decorated portion of the Chili Cook-Off will be done by the “People” and will be from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm.
A completed Application form (on this page) including completed online credit card payment is required.
JUDGING CRITERIA PEOPLE’S CHOICE
To be determined by popular vote. Each customer who purchases a Tasting Kit will receive a red event armband, a white tasting spoon and a ballot. These participants will be allowed to place their vote for their favorite chili in a ballot box designated “People’s Choice Ballot Box.” Judging will be from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.
BEST DECORATED BOOTH/TENT
The Showmanship competition will be judged by the “People.” Each ballot that is in the Tasting Kits will also contain a ballot for Best Decorated. This should be judged on the following: Theme, Costumes, Booth Set up, Action and Audience Appeal.
People's Choice Results 2023
People’s Choice Winners:
1st – Ohio Moose Association
2nd – Indiana Moose Association
3rd – Moosehaven Resident Team
1st Place Blind Judging:
Pearisburg, VA Team
Georgia Moose Association
People's Choice Results 2022
1st Place Blind Judging Virginia Moose
1st Place People’s Vote Ohio Moose
2nd Place People’s Vote Indiana Moose
3rd Place People’s Vote Sailfish
1st Place Best Booth Georgia Moose
People's Choice Results 2021
1st Place People’s Choice – Georgia Moose Association
1st Place People’s Choice Blind Judging – Papa’s Pastime
1st Place Best Decorated Booth – Opportunity Lodge (Moosehaven Residents)
People's Choice Results 2020
People's Choice Results 2019
9th Annual Moosehaven Chili Cook-Off winners – 2019
People’s Choice Division
Overall People’s Choice
1st Place: Moonshine Chili – North Carolina Moose Association
2nd Place: GA Classical Gas – Georgia Moose Association
3rd Place: TGL’s Green Chili – Local Competitor
People’s Choice Fraternal
1st Place: Moonshine Chili – North Carolina Moose Association
People’s Choice Fraternal Fundraising
1st Place: Virginia Moose Association
People’s Choice Moosehaven Department
1st Place: Tomahawk Chili – Moosehaven Clinic
People’s Choice Best Decorated Booth
1st Place: GA Classical Gas – Georgia Moose Association
People’s Choice Blind Judging
1st Place: FBMA Women of the Moose